Skip to main content

Unwelcomed

IMG1332A

Picture taken from the bus stop I was waiting at.  The structure with the curved roof is the bigger bus stop.

Since arriving here, I’ve heard a lot of stories about International Students getting beaten up or mugged or both.  At times I was skeptical when I was told about stories like this, but I believed it, most of the time.  We can’t deny that word of mouth is sometimes sensationalized. 

On Thursday nights, shops all over Newcastle will open longer than usual.  This is to give students as well as other people the chance to do some late night shopping or simply hang around.  Last Thursday night, Bill, Jen, and myself were at the bus stop waiting for Bill’s bus to come.  It was half past eight and we were at a bus stop waiting for Bill’s bus to arrive.  We talked for a bit, and realized that we were supposed to wait at the smaller bus stop facing the larger one.  We crossed the road and walked towards the bus stop.  There were only the three of us at the bus stop, while a rather large crowd (mostly Asians – International students of the Uni) have gathered waiting for the University bus to take them back to their dorms.  I saw this guy in a black shirt and white pants walking quickly around the bus stop, I didn’t notice him before, so I guess he must have just arrived when I notice him.  He was speaking loudly to a group of three male students.  Soon after, he started counting, and started punching the guys, I was appalled.  The guys ran and left their things there, a fourth guy came and asked what was going on and the white guy started punching him as well.  Even though there were four guys over there, the white guy was clearly larger than them.  It also happened too fast that I think everyone panicked.  People started walking, no, running away.  Soon, the bus stop was empty.  My friends and I ran too.  We ran towards the trees behind the bus stop.  As sudden as the bloke appeared, he made his quick escape with a car.  He sped away, never to be seen again. 

I was totally freaked out.  I’ve never seen anything like that before.  We decided to walk back to my house because it was already pass the time the bus should’ve arrived.  The next one would come about at 9:43 pm.  At half past nine, Bill and I went to the bus stop closer to my house.  Jen had already gone back.  We were there, waiting for the bus to come and I was praying hard so no one would mug us.  From the corner of my eye I saw a shadow quickly moving towards us.  My eyes took in the light and focused in the darkness.  I saw an Aussie teenager riding his push-scooter, or whatever those things are called.  He rode pass us, and was about to make a turn when a red toyota suddenly pulled up in front of him.  This happened about 10  meters away from us.  Four guys came out and started shoving the scooter guy around, one of them took his scooter and started smashing it on the road.  I watched in disbelief as Bill quickly took my arm and both of us started running.  As we ran, we saw headlights ahead of us, the 226 Bus which Bill was to take had stop at a bus stop about 100 meters ahead of us.  Both of us ran to the road and started waving.  Thankfully the driver saw us.  He waited until Bill got there.   I said my goodbyes and ran back home. 

In Australia, these people are called Bogons.  A month ago there was a survey conducted to see which town had the most Bogons, I didn’t check to see if Jesmond or Newcastle had a hihg population of bogons.  Since I didn’t grow up with Bogon in my vocabulary, I’d rather think of these people as Ungrateful Inglorious Bastards who are intoxicated almost the whole time they forget that the WE THE INTERNATIONAL STUDENTS ARE PUMPING IN SO MUCH MONEY SO THAT THEY COULD HAVE A CHEAP/FREE EDUCATION.  If they are so uninterested in Education, the government might as well lower our tuition fees.  As far as I can recall, I didn’t pay to come here to be harassed. 

Comments

Deanna Beryl said…
omg i'm shocked! i'm glad nothing happened to you.

be careful, norad.
Boon said…
OMG...Borons??? They must be radioactively insane; attacking and mugging people at random.
sounds like ure typical hoodlums 2 me. Daron...it's time to invest in maces and Tazers (aim low with dat Tazer).
ropoy said…
I don't condone doing this but..hey..I'll do whatever it takes to keep myself alive:) You should too man.

Hit them where it hurts the most.
1.Jab them in the eyes with your delicate fingers - they can't hurt you when they can't see you!

2.Chop them on the throat with your forearm/side of the hand - they can't touch you when they can't breath!

3.Kick them on their knee caps - they can't chase you when they can't move!

4.Knee/kick them on their groins/balls - they can't do anything when they're in pain!

5.Elbow them on their temples/side of the heads - they can't do anything when they're knock off cold!

6.Pray that the Lord will look after you 24/7 :)
bloghopper said…
Yeah, I've met creatures like those before - not exactly the bogons but similar crapballs elsewhere around the globe. Truth of the matter is, there's no real solution to the problem of having an unfortunate encounter with such species of life form. Pretty much the only thing you can do is run, that is if you have two healthy feet to carry you. Or perhaps hide in thick bushes or in concealed spaces where the bitches won't find you. If you're the kind who'd rather stand your ground, well, you might as well go for broke - respond to the threat with terminal intensity. Prep yourself with a good weapon - a small pistol might do you good. Hey man, it's Australia over there - a battleground littered with vicious dingoes and aussie rednecks. It's your life that's put on the line. Especially with all the late evening classes you're having, you need to reassess your chance of survival in a hostile, foreign territory at night. I was in Israel once, and I found almost everyone carries a small gun there for protection - not that it was effective against the loony hamas' bigger f*ckin' rockets. But hey, everybody has the right to protect his/herself by any means they're comfortable or confident with.
Unknown said…
Wow, Darron, i cant belive you saw all of this, i mean i beleive u saw it, but that it happened...dats crazy...Im just glad to know that ur safe...becareful, n take care of urself :)
Dael said…
dude.

i guess it must be true then, all the stories i've heard about newy people...

we don't have bogan problems here :p

you should so come live in the bong with me.

we have an awesome english neighbour. as in he's a pom, you know, from england. haha. he's big and tough and he'll protect you from bogans.

and he's got dogs too.

stay safe das. you can always move in to my house.

xoxo

Popular posts from this blog

spinning in my head

It's Saturday night/Sunday morning. I should be asleep right now but weekends only happen on weekends. This Sabbath was quite interesting. The church pastor will be talking about Sabbath-keeping throughout the Sabbaths of this month. He mentioned the necessity of saying "No!" to requests. That's a skill I have yet to master. Another point he brought up was that the Sabbath is meant for communion with friends, family, and God. Well, some people will have to take that seriously. A few updates for this week, I think you know that I have rearranged the room, and I am on the verge of buying some traditional-Thai looking furniture/items to fill the room up. Don't ask me why I'm buying these things when I'm close to leaving. Yes, I've started using this traditional face wash and cream. Many of my friends are using it and it has proven worth trying. Look at the blue!! What's in the lamp? What's in the book? What are you looking at? Zits galore. Pls pe...

BAREFOOTERS love DUMPLINGS

Yes, that’s the name of the singing group I’m in.  Me and a bunch of friends started singing a couple of years back.  Members have gone and come… gosh don’t get me started I WANT TO CRY…sobs. Here are some pictures of practices we have.  We believe in having food and fun during practice time.  You know how vocalists emphasize the activeness of bridge between our eyes during singing and vocalization/warm-ups. We, instead of looking silly with crazy eyes while singing, opt for another type of stimulant… DONE prior to practice.  DUMPLINGS!!!! I’m so going to miss these beautiful people.

i want to go to these places in january

Pulau Sapi Pulau Manukan Must visit Islands!!! I call myself a Sabahan but I have not really explored Sabah. ptuii.... So when I fly back (nothing definite yet people) I shall plan out a comprehensive travel itinerary. Use my holiday to the fullest! p/s: got these pictures from this site: http://www.malaysia-islands.com/html/tar-marine-park/beach/manukan.shtml