Skip to main content

When do you know you're on the right track?

This morning my supervisor emailed me asking me if I would be interested to participate in our Faculty's conference later this week.  I was feeling like an opportunist today, so I said yes.

I only got to work on the poster this evening and spent about an hour working on it.  I was not quite sure how I am supposed to design the poster, but I would imagine something with important catch phrases and keywords with minimal texts.  That's what I did.  As I was creating this poster, I got to thinking, am I on the right track?  My train of thought while making the poster was quite direct, with very little interruption.  It felt like I had a direction to go.  This encourages me but at the same time scares me.  How would I know that the direction I'm taking is not too simplistic?  Is it so uncritical that I am able to go from point A to point B without much interference?

I reckon that despite having a seemingly simple research design, the depth of analysis would be great and guided.  Great because I hope the analysis will go deep into the data, and guided because I hope that I won't be directed by my bias.  Subjectivity is good, intersubjectivity might be better, but having biases may be problematic.  Guided is also good because then you get to sell your research methodology to other interested researchers.  This helps qualify my research as being valid too, when the methodology is transferable and applicable in different contexts.

So, to ask myself again, am I on the right track?  I don't think I'll every be on the right track.  I don't even think it is a question worth asking.  The important question is am I on the right frame of mind?  Research is fuelled by interest for learning.  As long as there is an interest out there in what I am working on, I think I am on the right track.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

teka teki

what do you call a person who keeps the broom and steals the kitchen scourge but does not use them or take any initiative to clean the house

BAREFOOTERS love DUMPLINGS

Yes, that’s the name of the singing group I’m in.  Me and a bunch of friends started singing a couple of years back.  Members have gone and come… gosh don’t get me started I WANT TO CRY…sobs. Here are some pictures of practices we have.  We believe in having food and fun during practice time.  You know how vocalists emphasize the activeness of bridge between our eyes during singing and vocalization/warm-ups. We, instead of looking silly with crazy eyes while singing, opt for another type of stimulant… DONE prior to practice.  DUMPLINGS!!!! I’m so going to miss these beautiful people.

spinning in my head

It's Saturday night/Sunday morning. I should be asleep right now but weekends only happen on weekends. This Sabbath was quite interesting. The church pastor will be talking about Sabbath-keeping throughout the Sabbaths of this month. He mentioned the necessity of saying "No!" to requests. That's a skill I have yet to master. Another point he brought up was that the Sabbath is meant for communion with friends, family, and God. Well, some people will have to take that seriously. A few updates for this week, I think you know that I have rearranged the room, and I am on the verge of buying some traditional-Thai looking furniture/items to fill the room up. Don't ask me why I'm buying these things when I'm close to leaving. Yes, I've started using this traditional face wash and cream. Many of my friends are using it and it has proven worth trying. Look at the blue!! What's in the lamp? What's in the book? What are you looking at? Zits galore. Pls pe...