Skip to main content

Equal Education for All?

At a global scale, the education sector has seen an increase in enrollment.  Yes, we rejoice at the number of people wanting to be educated, but is this the reality of what goes on within the four walls of the classroom.  Recent events have actually given me the opportunity to verify my doubts. 


In a university in Bangkok, a group of about 60 students huddle inside one classroom.  This is the second section of an intercultural communications course.  Right from the beginning, it seems that nobody is paying any attention to the teacher.  Everyone is busy, touching-up their make-up, updating their Facebook status/instagram/twitter/everypossiblesocialnetworkingplatforms.  There are several exceptions though.  Right at the front, some random locals with all of the non-local students have taken their seats - ready to learn.  Looking at this group, I feel sorry.  I am apprehensive as to whether or not they will be able to take away anything from this type of learning environment. 

The teacher tries to quiet them down, to no avail.  One of the local students who was sitting in front actually shouted at the class to shut-up.  This worked for a couple of minutes, then the rest of the class continued its chatter.  The noise is becoming unbearable, to the point where the teacher resorted to using a very loud microphone.  At least the teacher's voice now overpowers the students'.  This, though, doesn't stop the students from talking. 

Now, it is funny because where these students are studying is one of the expensive "premier" schools in Bangkok.  What's disappointing is that instead of building its reputation as a school where knowledge is creatively imparted and absorbed and applied, the standards are dumbed down.  Why?  There is hearsay saying that a lot of "rich" kids who didn't quite make it in their secondary education because they don't need to worry because their future is practically okay come here just to have a variety of environment.  You know, one cannot stay in the mall for too long.   I am not sure if there is passion anywhere at all.  Everyone seemed to be interested only in the facade they build.  Don't they know that intellect lies in what is on the inside? Instead of the pretty face they carry?

I personally think these people are not qualified for such high-level education.  It's really disturbing to see people who do not value education getting one. 

Comments

OnZ'Q said…
Must like this.

Popular posts from this blog

spinning in my head

It's Saturday night/Sunday morning. I should be asleep right now but weekends only happen on weekends. This Sabbath was quite interesting. The church pastor will be talking about Sabbath-keeping throughout the Sabbaths of this month. He mentioned the necessity of saying "No!" to requests. That's a skill I have yet to master. Another point he brought up was that the Sabbath is meant for communion with friends, family, and God. Well, some people will have to take that seriously. A few updates for this week, I think you know that I have rearranged the room, and I am on the verge of buying some traditional-Thai looking furniture/items to fill the room up. Don't ask me why I'm buying these things when I'm close to leaving. Yes, I've started using this traditional face wash and cream. Many of my friends are using it and it has proven worth trying. Look at the blue!! What's in the lamp? What's in the book? What are you looking at? Zits galore. Pls pe...

BAREFOOTERS love DUMPLINGS

Yes, that’s the name of the singing group I’m in.  Me and a bunch of friends started singing a couple of years back.  Members have gone and come… gosh don’t get me started I WANT TO CRY…sobs. Here are some pictures of practices we have.  We believe in having food and fun during practice time.  You know how vocalists emphasize the activeness of bridge between our eyes during singing and vocalization/warm-ups. We, instead of looking silly with crazy eyes while singing, opt for another type of stimulant… DONE prior to practice.  DUMPLINGS!!!! I’m so going to miss these beautiful people.

i want to go to these places in january

Pulau Sapi Pulau Manukan Must visit Islands!!! I call myself a Sabahan but I have not really explored Sabah. ptuii.... So when I fly back (nothing definite yet people) I shall plan out a comprehensive travel itinerary. Use my holiday to the fullest! p/s: got these pictures from this site: http://www.malaysia-islands.com/html/tar-marine-park/beach/manukan.shtml