Please do not let the title mislead you. My level of shopping is not that extravagant. I go loco at the malls only on special occasions, like Christmas and the sorts. However, the costly damages compels my mother to label me as one. This, and a Starbucks addict. But I only have a cup every fortnight!
Regardless, some of you may know how "unfriendly" I can be with other people. Some of you have called me a __________ - which I have no objection to. Having been in Bangkok for a number o years, I have had many encounters with Chinese tourists. Two of which I distinctly remember are:
1. I was getting out the Sky Train at National Stadium and walked past a Chinese couple. The lady was wearing skinny jeans and her fly was wide open.
2. I was sitting at McDonald's in Paragon and a group of Chinese were trying to order in CHINESE. I felt sorry for the Chinese tourists, and for that McDonald's employee.
Today was different though. I was at McDonald's again. Eww to fast food but what can I do if I only have 30 minutes to eat before catching the van? After placing my order, I waited as the staff put my burger together, and up came some Taiwanese ladies who ordered Number 4, which was a McChicken burger. The Taiwanese lady should've just stopped speaking after saying Number 4, but she continued to say McChicken, which the staff did not understand. This fun banter went on for a while, and I decided enough was enough and butt in in Thai, "Luk ka sang McChickennnnnn burger na krub." The staff understood, punched a few numbers like Bon Qui Qui and then threw the receipt on the tray.
Before McDonald's I was at Samsung on the third floor. There was a Middle Eastern couple who was looking for iPhone (in a Samsung store?) and a museum. This was an obvious example of ESP at work. I don't think the Samsung staff were taught the word "museum." I then again butt in (I really like butting in) and asked them which museum they were looking for. The lady said Discovery. I said, oh Madame Tussauds! She said, No! Museum. I said yes that's it! Get out of Paragon, walk through the court yard and Siam Center, then you'll be at Discovery! Go to the top floor! The lady said, Museum. Then I said yes! Then she left.
Regardless, some of you may know how "unfriendly" I can be with other people. Some of you have called me a __________ - which I have no objection to. Having been in Bangkok for a number o years, I have had many encounters with Chinese tourists. Two of which I distinctly remember are:
1. I was getting out the Sky Train at National Stadium and walked past a Chinese couple. The lady was wearing skinny jeans and her fly was wide open.
2. I was sitting at McDonald's in Paragon and a group of Chinese were trying to order in CHINESE. I felt sorry for the Chinese tourists, and for that McDonald's employee.
Today was different though. I was at McDonald's again. Eww to fast food but what can I do if I only have 30 minutes to eat before catching the van? After placing my order, I waited as the staff put my burger together, and up came some Taiwanese ladies who ordered Number 4, which was a McChicken burger. The Taiwanese lady should've just stopped speaking after saying Number 4, but she continued to say McChicken, which the staff did not understand. This fun banter went on for a while, and I decided enough was enough and butt in in Thai, "Luk ka sang McChickennnnnn burger na krub." The staff understood, punched a few numbers like Bon Qui Qui and then threw the receipt on the tray.
Before McDonald's I was at Samsung on the third floor. There was a Middle Eastern couple who was looking for iPhone (in a Samsung store?) and a museum. This was an obvious example of ESP at work. I don't think the Samsung staff were taught the word "museum." I then again butt in (I really like butting in) and asked them which museum they were looking for. The lady said Discovery. I said, oh Madame Tussauds! She said, No! Museum. I said yes that's it! Get out of Paragon, walk through the court yard and Siam Center, then you'll be at Discovery! Go to the top floor! The lady said, Museum. Then I said yes! Then she left.
Comments